Thursday, April 26, 2007

Beautiful Music

As it says in my "about me" section, I am single and looking. The main form that my looking takes is via online dating. I've been at it for about 18 months, and while I've not had amazing success, I've had better luck there than meeting men in the 'real world'.


So this week I came across a profile that I hadn't seen before. Well, that's not quite right--I had seen his blog quite a while before, but for some reason had never looked at his full dating profile. But this time I did.


He appears to be quite a delightful man! Nice pictures, articulate text, and he's a musician, as am I. So I sent an e-mail earlier this week, and he kindly responded, with some rather encouraging words, leading me to believe that we might hit it off.


Ball's in my court, so I send off a thoughtful yet amusing response. And....nothing. Three days, and nothing. I can see that he's been online, so it's not that he hasn't had an opportunity to read it.


I was torn. This particular dating site is rather notorious for "eating" messages--entire e-mails will simply never be delivered, and you're never told. So I've hemmed and hawed, and finally decided I couldn't handle it. I sent a follow-up e-mail earlier this evening.


No response so far, so I don't know if he's going to think I'm some cyber-stalker (I'm not), or pathetic (I guess I could be), or if he'll be flattered that I was interested enough to follow up (I am!)


This is the part I hate--waiting, not knowing, wondering what the other person thinks. I'm not a good person for "possibilities"--I like actualities much better. Let me settle into what I know, don't make me deal with a hundred "what if's".


But there's nothing more to do--if he does not respond again, I will not chase him down. I will take it as a lack of interest, and move along. Disappointing, because I think we could have made beautiful music together.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think I know exactly what you are feeling like right now. I hate waiting around for people to get back to me about stuff, especially when it comes to people I care deeply about and with respect to matters that are really important to me. I'm waiting on two people to get back to me right now about certain things, and it seems like they really don't care... very disappointing. But I guess that's the way things go.

Best of Luck!

JunieGirl said...

Thank you, Mr. I! The guy wrote back and said he got my messages, and that he's just been busy. He is a single dad, and I understand how that is. So I will be patient in the future, and not assume the worst.

Of course, it's always disappointing to be the one who is anxiously awaiting a response, knowing that the person(s) on the other end aren't as invested in the issue, so they don't feel the same urgency.