Sunday, August 16, 2009

District 9 kicked my a$$

I just saw District 9 tonight. I knew it was getting rave reviews, and I knew to expect a bit of gore. I don't normally tolerate that too well, but the reviews (including the linked one in my title, from my friend Luke Y. Thompson) were too encouraging to ignore. Plus, I knew my boyfriend would love it...he's a fan of aliens.

What I didn't know, and couldn't have anticipated, was that it moved me to tears more than once. It's so easy to marginalize "other"-ness in people, and to treat them as less than simply because they are different than.

District 9 graphically exposed what that marginalization looks like. The example of man's inhumanity was disturbing, and made me weep for my race. I am moved beyond words, and encourage anyone who happens upon this post to go see this film.

No comments: