Sunday, August 16, 2009

Sis Me

I was born a sister. I already had two siblings at birth, and one followed shortly behind. I had a pretty good handle on what it takes to be a sister. But as I was getting older and didn't have kids of my own, I thought it would be nice to reach out to the community and do something constructive to give back.

So two years ago, I signed up to be an official "Big Sister" through Big Brothers/Big Sisters. I was matched with a young girl, and we have been seeing each other regularly since then. Every week or two I pick her up and we do something together...summer has often had us swimming at my sister's pool, we've been to Chuck E. Cheese a couple of times, or most often we go to the movies.

There have been ups and downs. I have lost two jobs in the past two years, forcing me to limit my outings with her for budget reasons. Her mother, who had signed her and her sister up for the program moved out of state, forcing the girls to move in with their father, 20 miles away. Then I moved, so my home is actually 50 miles from hers now. The program actually limits the distance to 10 miles, to ease the burden on the "Big". However, I love my "Little", and I continue to see her even though the distance is inconvenient.

I knew that I would be making a difference in her life, and I'm glad that I have been a constant for her during phases of her life that seemed in perpetual flux. I didn't realize that she would make a difference to me. My refrigerator is covered in art that she has made for me. She freely hugs me and tells me she loves me...she introduces me to her friends and confides her secret crushes. She wants to share her snacks with me at the movies because she is a "big sister" and is used to splitting things, though I desperately try to give her things that she can claim as her own.

There are many ways to impact the world. You could say one little girl won't make all that much of a difference. But I'd say "It makes a difference to this one." And to this Big girl, too.

No comments: